Sunday, October 16, 2011

.the spirit of winter



Might be a bit too soon to be thinking this cold, but I've been re-reading Emily Carroll's comics lately and find their beautiful, eerie, fairy tale quality extremely inspiring. I seriously can't describe the feeling of being spirited away I get when reading her stories. They're the kinds of enchanting tales one would expect to hear from an ancient, wandering storyteller; or find in an old diary, hidden in a forgotten cabin in the middle of a forest. If you haven't seen them before, check out Emily's web-oriented comics: http://www.emcarroll.com/comic
 --

Got to play with a friend's Cintiq for the first time yesterday. I knew I wanted one, but now I basically MUST HAVE one. I love my Intuos3 tablet, but even with its generous size (12 x 9in) and my many years experience using a tablet to draw on, I have very little confidence in my line work and it turns any simple drawing into hours of perfectionist tedium, and I lose steam fairly quickly. It'll be a while down the road before I can afford one, but it's sure to be a fine day to look forward to.

Sketchbook Pro keeps proving how swell it is for drawing. There are, of course, some things it lacks that I'm used to with Photoshop, but overall, it just feels a lot more natural. Hoping to crank out at least one nice drawing once per week. That is, if I can ever finish Deus Ex: Human Revolution and have free time again.

No comments:

Post a Comment